Turmeric paste (or Golden Paste) is what many describe as a miracle paste that can be taken by both people and pets and is known to have many benefits. It was first developed by an Australian veterinarian Dr. Doug English but is now used by people all over the globe with remarkable results.
What is it and what are the benefits?
Turmeric paste is pretty much as the name suggests: an aromatic, turmeric-based paste. It typically contains a combination of turmeric powder, organic coconut or olive oil, ground black pepper and water. This magic mixture is widely known to have the following benefits:
- It is a natural anti-inflammatory
- It is believed to have anti-cancer properties
- Can reduce blood clots
- Offers natural pain relief
- Has anti-bacterial properties
- It is a powerful antioxidant
- Has been used in the treatment of epilepsy in dogs
- And many more!
How is it used?
The paste can be added directly to your pet’s meals either by mixing it in or as a tasty garnish. Dogs don’t usually mind the taste and will happily gobble it up but if you have a fussy pooch then hiding it amongst their food or mixing it with water will help.
- Smaller dogs should start with around ¼ teaspoon per day
- Medium-large dogs can start with around ½ teaspoon per day
- Giant dogs can start with ¾ teaspoon per day
- Each week you can gradually increase until desired effects are noticed
Tip: Turmeric leaves the body quickly so its recommended to feed smaller amounts a few times a day.
Where can I get it?
Golden Paste can be bought ready-made so all you need to do is serve. This can be a lot more convenient for people with limited time to make up the recipe themselves. However, if you’d rather make your own then follow the steps below:
- Mix ½ cup of organic turmeric powder with 1 cup of water in a pan
- Stir the mixture on a low-medium heat for around 10 minutes until it forms a thick paste
- Once you have the paste consistency, add ¼ cup of organic cold pressed coconut oil (or olive oil) along with 1 ½ teaspoons of freshly ground black pepper and stir well.
- Allow the mixture to cool then place in a glass jar with a lid and store in the fridge. The paste should be used within two weeks.
As previously mentioned, golden turmeric paste is very well known for its incredible benefits in dogs, cats, horses and humans. However, caution must be taken if the person or animal taking it is on medication, undergoing radiation therapy, or is pregnant. If any of these apply to you or your pet, always contact your doctor or veterinarian before using the paste.